Thursday, February 28, 2008

Reflections on Our Visit So Far




We haven't been here so long, but I think we might be at our half-way point. I'm so happy that Lev is spending time with his grandparents, cousins and our 'family' here in Michigan. Estie is blossoming and becoming quite the charmer. I have come to the decision that I like stroller life better than car life. Shalom and I drove to a shopping area about forty-five minutes away and both kids fell asleep in the car. We didn't want to wake them up because we knew they needed the naps, so we each took turns sitting in the car and running into the shops we had on our lists. They might not have fallen asleep as easily in a stroller, but we would have been able to shop together. Also, there's no such thing as 'running into' a store if you have a car and kids here. To go buy wipes, I needed to get Lev and Estie into their car seats, drive to the store, take Estie out (carrying her car seat) first because Lev gets to cold standing next to me while I do it, then get him out, run in with them both (hoping we won't get hit by someone in the parking lot), manage to do the shopping, put Estie back in, walk around the car and then get Lev in. It's a lot of work. I can understand why suburban moms stay home and end up feeling isolated. I wanted to run into a place and get a coffee while we were out the other day and it just wasn't worth the work. Maybe when they're old enough to leave in the car...

Anyway, Shalom went back to Israel yesterday and the kids are missing him. Yesterday we went to Staples and bought every shape of PostIt note available to use for Mitzvah notes at school (I write Lev a Mitzvah note each day saying a good thing he's done since leaving school the day before. It helps us remember that he does a lot of good and the kids applaud each other on their mitzvot. Getting fancy PostIts makes it fun for the both of us). Today, Alicia Grand came over for a play date. She's 3-years-old, but she enjoyed visiting with Estie and a bit with Lev. Lev enjoyed having guests and Alicia’s Bubbie and I thought it was amazing to have her over since her Daddy used to be my babysitter. Lev decided it was a no-nap day, so I resorted to the DVDs since Estie decided that last night was a nurse-every-hour-and-a-half night. B"H we're all doing well and looking forward to seeing as many people as possible while we're here.
If my dad's Skype pops up for any of you, don't get freaked out. Lev and I are using his account to be in touch with Daddy and hopefully some friends in Israel.
Also: Even if we sat in this house and did nothing for the next two weeks it will all be worth it because- I forced my mom to get her phone fixed! Yes, after at least six months of a fuzzy, annoying, unusable phone line, we had two different technicians out here and it's finally fixed! We can have phone conversations over two minutes long! Oh, happy day!

No comments: